Since Danielle and I spent Christmas apart, we felt the need to do something
together before the end of her Christmas break. So on Thursday, January 1,
2004 we drove out to Mojave National

On the way there, we stopped at Danielle's dad to drop off the rats so they
would get adequately spoiled over the weekend. We made it to the park without
any problems, and headed down Kelbaker Road. At a point just before the cinder
cones, we parked by the side of the road. After a last repacking, we walked
off towards the mountain range to the west of the road. I don't think it has a
name, but it's the one that contains Seventeen Mile Point. We followed a
mixture of 4x4 road and dry creeks up a gently incline that lead us to a
saddle. The map indicated a number of deserted mines in that area, and we
found a number of them. They were all open holes leading straight down into
the ground, usually with a pile of dirt next to them.

Some had caved in, but some others looked in good shape, and even had worn
wooden ladders still in them. We made camp there, and after setting up the
tent wandered around a little, discovering a few more abandoned mines. While
we had some snacks, we watched the sunset on the closest hill to our site.
Then we made dinner and went to bed.

The next morning we went on a short hike in the area, and found another mine
which actually breathed (ie. it was morning and noticeably warm air was coming
out of it). A little on further we noticed a big pile of dirt on the side of
the mountain. Scrambling down to it, it turned out to be a deep horizontal
mine. We walked into it a short while, but not so far as to need our flash
lights. I had mine with me and shone it down the tunnel, and it went back
further than the light let me see. We walked a little further, startling some
kind of hawk/vulture. Then we returned to camp, packed up, and walked back to
the car.

At the car we refilled our water, and then drove a mile or two to the cinder
cones. We snacked a little, and set off on a dirt road towards the closest
one. We saw 2 people parked in their pick-ups, but after we crossed the first
wash we didn't encounter anybody else. We set up the tent pretty close to the
4x4 road on some soft, slightly raised ground. Camp all made, we decided to
climb the closest cinder cone. On the way there, about 50 feet in front of us,
we saw a jack-rabbit running at full speed. After a 30-foot scramble, the old
road up the cinder cone was pretty easy to follow. The road was packed quite
well, so we didn't slide around very much.

At the top we had some nice views
of the surround area, but no comfortable place to sit down. From here it was
clear that one quarter of the cinder cone had eroded away so the top was more
like a C than an O. We descended on the other side.

Since this cinder cone turned out to be a lot easier than we thought it would
be, we decided to also go up to another one that had a very visible V cut-out
in the top. Walking through a wash on the way over there, we noticed a
sun-bleached vine with about 10 squashes still attached to it. How they got
there is somewhat of a mystery, since they don't grow there naturally, and I
can't think of any farmland within 100 miles. Just a little way up the second
cinder cone we saw some bighorn sheep walking around much higher up the cinder
cone. We kept a lookout the rest of the time but didn't see them again. We did
find lots of sheep poop. At the top of this cinder cone it looked like
somebody had dug out a huge V in the crest. We enjoyed the view for a little
while, and then headed back the way we came. On the way to the tent we climbed
a small pile of neat-looking volcanic rock. I also startled another jack-rabbit
just a couple of feet from me. It was gone in no time at all.

Back at our campsite we found some suitable rocks to sit on and read our
books. After a little while it started to drizzle a little, so we retreated
into the tent. The rain didn't let up, so we end up cooking from the tent. I
had the gas stove set up right outside my side of the tent, and that all
worked pretty well. It wasn't raining hard, just hard enough that we didn't
want to sit in it. My tent's vestibule area actually came in useful for the
first time, protecting both our packs from the rain.

Saturday morning we packed up, hiked back to the car, and drove to Kelso
Dunes. It was fairly windy, which had me somewhat worried. While munching on
snacks in the car, a guy with a pack came down from the dunes onto the parking
lot. I talked to him, and he had camped out the previous night. He said that
the wind had given his tarp quite some trouble because it kept changing
directions, but thought we should be fine with our tent. Encouraged by his
story we trudged up the dunes to a point seemed high enough to be fun but low
enough to be protected from the wind. We found a bowl and pitched our tent
there, securing the rainfly to our packs to keep it more or less where we
wanted it.

Next we climbed the tallest dune, which was quite a challenge. We walked a
short steep bit up to the ridge, and then along the ridge to the top. There
was a lot of wind at the top, doing a good job sandblasting our boots and
pants. We had a pretty nice view there and from the top. For a relaxing
afternoon we returned to our camp where we read some more, and periodically
looked to the tall dune tracking various other hikers' progress. Towards
sunset I wanted to go up again for some pictures so we did the same hike
again. The main dune was not a good spot for pictures, it turned out, because
most of the remaining dunes were in its shadow. We did meet some people up
there who took our picture.

The next morning we got up fairly early, packed up, hiked out, picked up the
rats, and drove home.

Lessons Learned:

Some people need a lot more toilet paper than other people. Let everybody pack
their own quantity of toilet paper. They can then be combined if you want to
cut down on zip-locks used.